Home Dental Fillings
What should we do when we have Dental Caries?
If you notice the discoloration on your teeth and if it does not have the symptoms like pain, you should prefer the restoration because the teeth are the best jewel. At Mozhi dental we take our utmost effort to preserve the teeth.
When I should prefer dental fillings?
There are several signs and symptoms where dental restorations can be required. The symptoms are as follows:
- A hole in your tooth or teeth
- Discolouration of the tooth
- Food stuck between certain areas of the teeth
- Chipped or broken tooth
- Sensitivity to hot and cold food and beverage
- Single or multiple cavities
If you encounter any of the above symptoms, then you might need a filling. The final decision will be of your dentist after a thorough intra oral examination which is well done at Mozhi Dental.
What is the procedure of dental filling?
Dental Filling can protect tooth from further damage.
- The dentist then examines the tooth and if required an X-ray might be required to visualize the extent of the dental caries.
- The very first step in this process is to see how severe the infection in that tooth. This is because Dental Filling is only suitable for minor fractures and decay.
- Then the decayed or damaged tooth around it is prepared.
- A filling is then applied to the area to fill the cavity. The type of filling will depend upon case to case and person to person
Consequences of not getting a dental filling done
If you have decay, then it is extremely important to get Fillings done because if the treatment is not done on time then slowly the enamel (outer part of teeth) start decaying exposing the dentin (the hard part below the enamel). The bacteria in your mouth will come in contact with dentin, causing infection. Once the infection starts, you will feel sensitivity and will then want to get Fillings done. But if you skip this part and do not get the treatment done on time, then the infection will reach to the nerve which will eventually damage the tooth and then one needs to undergo a Root canal Treatment. The dental fillings are done conservatively at Mozhi Dental with the well equipped materials.
Types of Dental Fillings
Dental Fillings are of various types. The type of filling to be used will depend upon the condition of decay and the patient’s preferences. The different type of fillings available are:
These are the most widely used by dental professionals since years. They are made of several metals combined and therefore, they have high strength. The charge of the amalgam restoration is around 200-300 rupees.
These are of the same color as your teeth. These are preferred if a person does not want their filing to be seen. It is recommended and suitable for front teeth. It bonds well with the tooth structure. It is also used for a chipped tooth, however, does not last long as compared to metal and amalgam filling and can also wear off with time. The charge of the amalgam restoration is around 500-1000 rupees.
Porcelain / Ceramic Filling
The porcelain filling is best suited if you have serious aesthetic concerns. These cover most part of the tooth, as a result, can be used if the decay is large enough. This long-lasting filling does not stain or wear off easily. It varies depending upon the tooth.
Post Treatment Care For Dental Filling
- Do not consume anything too hot or too cold if the effect of anesthesia is still on
- You might feel soreness around your gum area, this will last only for a few days
- Avoid hard or sticky food for a few days
- If you have a habit of grinding your teeth, then make sure you use a mouthguard to protect your filling
- If you feel sensitivity for too long or if your dental fillings come out, visit your dentist immediately
- Maintain a good Oral Hygiene routine like cleaning, brushing, mouthwash & flossing
How Long Does A Dental Filling Last?
The longevity of Dental Filling depends upon the material of the filling. It also depends on how well you take care of your filling. The life of Dental Filling varies from 10 years to 20 years.
Can Dental Filling Fall Off?
Yes, but the chances are rare.
What To Do If Your Fillings Come Out?
Visit your dentist as soon as your Dental Filling comes out.
How To Know That Dental Filling Is Loose?
If you have sensitivity even after getting the filling done, then it is likely that your filling is about to come off. Or if you feel pressure while eating or have a constant toothache then the chances of it coming off is high.
Is there any speciality to do dental restoration?
Yes…. It done by the conservative endodontist. Mozhi Dental treats the patients by the most popular conservative endodontist at Tenkasi.
Mozhi Dental provides the dental treatment with utmost care so be happy to approach them.